The Fingal State Bank, the oldest bank originally chartered and still in operation in Barnes County, has served the area continuously for 100 years.
The Bank of Fingal was organized on November 10, 1898 by Thomas Casey, C.E. Batchellor and L.E. Batchellor with a capital stock of $5,000.00. The Bank of Fingal official state charter was signed by the Secretary of State on November 25, 1898. Originally in a frame building, the Bank was moved in 1900 to a new brick building, which is now known as the American Legion Building.
The Bank of Fingal was changed to the First National Bank in April 1904 with a capital stock of $25,000.00. Thomas Casey was President and Director, C.E. Batchellor, Cashier and Director, L.A. Batchellor, Vice President and Director, W.P. Morgan was Bookkeeper. Other Directors were F.J. Marquart, Lucca, North Dakota, Martin Thoreson, Daily, North Dakota, and N.P. Langemo, Fingal, North Dakota.
Some early employees of The First National Bank were Frank Rhoda, Bjarne Thorkelson, P.A. Pickett, George Peaske and C.C. Carnahan.
In May 1906, $18,500.00 in brand new bills arrived from the U.S. Treasury in Washington and after being signed by the President and Cashier of the First National Bank, were put into circulation.
In June 1906, L.A. Batchellor was elected President in place of Thomas Casey, who sold his stock to C.E. Batchellor. N.P. Langemo was elected Vice President and C.E. Batchellor, Cashier.
First National announced the opening of savings accounts, interest paid semiannually and $1.00 started an account. The Bank was equipped with a fire proof vault, burglar proof safe and time lock, besides being insured in a reliable company, the officers and assistants were bonded.